First settled in the early 19th century, Ambridge is located in southwestern Pennsylvania on the east side of the Ohio River, 16 miles northwest of Pittsburgh. Ambridge was established as a Borough in 1905 after the American Bridge Company purchased the land from the Harmonist Society, which settled the area in 1824 and called it Oekonomie (Old Economy). Today Ambridge is home to the National Historic Landmark of Old Economy Village, the last home of the Harmonist Society. Old Economy has many preserved buildings as well as a museum dedicated to the Harmonists and their way of life. The area around Old Economy Village has been designated a Historic District and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Built in sandy soils, the Borough’s existing gravity sewer is located under State Route (SR) 65 at a depth of over thirty feet. A consent decree previously issued to Ambridge by the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection required the elimination of sewer overflows caused by the lack of capacity in the Borough’s existing system.
<<Learn more here>>